Shauna C. Bryce, Esq. is a leading expert in career coaching and strategic resumes for lawyers.
Her mission is to help lawyers get jobs and build careers, using proven strategies she developed through her combined nearly 20 years as a practicing attorney, a member of a law firm hiring committee, and a career adviser.
- Maximizing their law school experience and ability to win legal or law-related employment at graduation,
- Defining and achieving individual goals,
- Creating and seizing opportunities, both short-term job and long-term career development opportunities,
- Returning to law practice after personal hiatus or work in other fields,
- Transitioning among practice areas or sectors (law firm to in-house, military to civilian, government to private, etc.), and
- Designing a fulfilling retirement.
Background In Law, Legal Resumes, And Legal Hiring
Shauna graduated with honors from The Johns Hopkins University before attending Harvard Law School. She practiced in an international law firm based in Manhattan, a regional law firm, and a regulated business.
As attorney, she reviewed countless resumes, conducted interviews, served on a firm’s hiring committee, and mentored associates. Shauna then founded Bryce Legal Career Counsel to bring her expertise to others navigating the job search and career development process. Her clients have included attorneys from nearly every state, those working in overseas operations of U.S.-based employers, or foreign-trained lawyers entering the U.S. legal market.
In addition to providing one-on-one services through Bryce Legal®, she authors well-researched books, articles, and presentations that share a goal: giving prospective job candidates detailed insight on the expectations of those who will be hiring them, as well as how to meet those expectations.
Shauna brings clients not only her own experiences, but lessons learned from an extensive network of attorneys across sectors and industries. For example, to research and write the acclaimed “How To Get A Legal Job: A Guide For New Attorneys And Law School Students,” Shauna interviewed 150+ attorneys. How To Get A Legal Job® has since expanded into a series of books and a website. Her LexisNexis webinars and her expert advice column in Bloomberg Law, Ask The Hiring Attorney®, are circulated to nearly every law school and law student in the nation.
Qualifications And Contributions
- Ask The Hiring Attorney®
- Writing Samples For Lawyers And Law Students: Proving Your Research, Analysis, And Advocacy Skills
- Reference Checks, Reference Pages, And Letters Of Recommendation For Lawyers And Law Students: Step In Front Of The Pack And Win Job Offers
- Networking Cards For Lawyers And Law Students: How A 30-Minute Investment Can Teach You To Market Yourself And Network Like A Pro
- How To Get A Legal Job: A Guide For New Attorneys And Law School Students
- How To Get A Legal Job: A Guide For New Attorneys And Law School Students — Outtakes!
Contributor: Gallery of Best Cover Letters, 4th Edition (2012) | I Want to Work in an Association–Now What???: A Guide to Getting a Job in a Professional Association, Membership Organization, or Society (2011) | industry white papers, best practices tips, and more
Publications Or Events
Harvard Law School | Bloomberg Law | CNN Money/Fortune Magazine | LexisNexis | U.S. News & World Report | Monster | International Business Times | SmartBrief | MENSA | Military Spouse JD Network | Happy Go Legal | The Girl’s Guide to Law School | Ms. JD | Career Thought Leaders (CTL) | The Student Appeal | NALP | National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) | The Johns Hopkins University | National Career Development Association (NCDA) | The National Resume Writers’ Association (The NRWA) | Generation JD | Mid-Career Minute | and othersClick here list of selected online articles, interviews, and recordings.
- Advance a Law-Related Career Without Passing the Bar, feature article and interview in U.S. News & World Report.
- Quasi-Legal Jobs Can Jumpstart Your Legal Career, feature article in Bloomberg Law.
- Job-hunting law school grads will face a ‘perfect storm’, feature article and interview with CNN Money and Fortune Magazine’s Ask Annie.
- Preparing for On-Campus Interviews, webinar for LexisNexis (free registration required).
- Best College Majors And Activities For Aspiring Law School Students, National Career Development Association’s Career Convergence.
- Want A Legal Job? Listen To Shauna C. Bryce, feature interview by Alison Monahan, Esq., The Girl’s Guide to Law School.
- Two-part feature interview by Chelsea Callanan, Esq., Happy Go Legal.
• Part 1: Put Your Best Foot Forward: Professional Attire Simplified For Summer Associates
• Part 2: Business Casual And Two Kinds Of Suits (Eek)
- A Day in the Life of a Legal Career Coach, feature interview by Sarah Eli Mattern, Esq., The Student Appeal.
- Two-part feature interview by Michael Siri, Esq., Generation J.D.
• Part 1: Getting the Interview and Getting A Job: Interviewing at Law Firms, Part 1
• Part 2: Getting the Interview and Getting A Job: Interviewing at Law Firms, Part 2
- Resume Security: Safeguard Your Contact Information, interviewed by Kim Isaacs, Monster Resume Expert, Monster.com.
Degrees And Certifications
Harvard Law School, JD | The Johns Hopkins University, BA | Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) and other careers industry certifications
Associations For Careers And Careers Professionals
President-Elect, Board Member, Ethics Chair, national conference speaker, national conference workshop presenter, and 2x teleseminar presenter for The National Resume Writers’ Association (The NRWA) | Former Board Member, Secretary, and annual conference speaker for the Maryland Career Development Association (MCDA) | Legal Resume Expert for The NRWA’s Expert Corner (renamed Ask a Colleague) | Career Directors International’s (CDI) Expert in Legal Resumes | Member or affiliate member of the National Association for Law Placement (NALP); Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), CDI, MCDA, National Career Development Association (NCDA), The NRWA, Career Thought Leaders (CTL), Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches (PARW/CC), and others
How Can Shauna Help You Today?