Shauna C. Bryce, Esq. is an expert on legal resumes and career coaching for lawyers of all levels. She’s the author of multiple books and contributing column at Bloomberg Law. Additionally, she’s appeared in publications and programs by Forbes, CNN Money/Fortune Magazine, LexisNexis, U.S. News & World Report, Harvard Law School, American Bar Association, National Association of Women Lawyers, and dozens of others.
Shauna’s been privileged to partner on writing projects (as well as career coaching) with some of the top attorneys in country. Here’s sample feedback on resumes, cover letters, resume addenda, LinkedIn profiles, and other career documents:
- Once again you have proven that you are the Rolls Royce of the industry. Client: Confidential advisor to corporate board members and executives, and law school classmate of President Barack Obama
- You really did a great job and I’m very pleased. I would never have thought to put things the way you have. Client: Former diplomat and military officer transitioning to private sector
- I love [the resume] a lot. It’s a great marketing document. You packed a lot of information into the document, with the right emphasis and the right tone for a business savvy attorney. I’m really pleased. Client: VP /GC at Fortune 50 tech subsidiary
- The resume was perfect. I loved it. The cover letter was great. It was everything I hoped for when I came to you for help. Client: Head of litigation for one of the largest banks in the U.S.
- I like the flow and emphasis of the resume. And LinkedIn looks great. It’s exactly what I was looking for. Client: Lead M&A attorney for U.S. division of $80 billion multinational
- I’m going in for a screening interview next Monday! It really was the resume that drew them in, so I just wanted you know that it made a complete difference. Client: Equity partner and practice group leader of Am Law 100 law firm.
- I was wowed. The resume was organized and marketed me very well. And the cover letter is great. Client: Former GC of Asian subsidiary of a Forbes 100 world’s most valuable brand
- Thank for your wise and wonderful counsel. I love what you did [to my resume]. I’m so happy I met you. Thank you for everything. Client: Casino and entertainment executive and GC
- An outstanding job! The CV is perfect…Thank you for all your help. … The cover letter is great!… Again, great work! You’ve really come through. Client: Former CIA / national security officer, now lead counsel on discreet international investigations
- I really like the design of the resume, what you did graphically and translating poetical speech into something that’s law firm relevant. I really like the language and imagery of the cover letter. And [the letter of recommendation for signature by former U.S. presidential candidate] is great. It really captures the different points. Client: Policy consultant / aide for President Bill Clinton, U.S. presidential candidate, Senators, and Members of Congress, during transition to law firm
*For more client feedback from lawyers of all levels, please see Reviews.
Every practicing attorney faces a different set of challenges, depending upon his or her practice areas, target employers and industries, and unique situation. The majority of Shauna’s one-on-one clients are attorneys with:
- 7 to 30 years of experience
- Annual base salaries ranging from $150,000 to $900,000, with some having multimillion-dollar total compensation packages
- Senior-level roles as vice presidents / general counsel at parent companies or subsidiaries, directors, division or team leaders, equity partners, and income partners, as well as those on track for or aspiring to such positions
Career Coaching for Executive-Level Lawyers and Emerging Leaders
You can work with Shauna on action-oriented coaching to reach your short and long-term goals, including the job search, finding unadvertised opportunities (“the hidden job market”), networking, interviewing, social media, transitioning practice areas or geography, return to law practice, establishing yourself as a thought-leader, and other career building issues.
Shauna provides two coaching options:
Resume / CV Writing for Executive-Level Lawyers and Emerging Leaders
You can work directly with Shauna on:
- Custom Legal Resumes / CV: A professionally branded and targeted resume is the first step to defining your value, positioning yourself in the crowded legal marketplace, promoting strengths, addressing weaknesses (real or perceived), and focusing your employment search. Pricing varies widely, but executive-level attorneys should expect a minimum of $2,200.
- Complete Career Portfolios and Marketing Materials: To job search, you may need cover letters, letters of recommendation, resume addenda (deal sheets, representative matters, publications and presentations, board and committee memberships, and others), reference pages, and other career related documents. To build an online presence and client base, you may need also leadership biographies, speaker profiles, firm website profiles, and other marketing material.
- LinkedIn® and Social Media Profiles: Your profile on your employer’s website (if you have a profile!) is designed to benefit your employer, not you. LinkedIn® is your chance to set up a professional presence you control. And love it or hate it, LinkedIn® is currently the top tool for hiring and recruiting.
- Custom Designed Projects: Experienced lawyers often have needs that don’t easily fit into established categories, such as business plans and recruiter questionnaires. Work with Shauna to define your needs and design a solution.
Book a Call